I Didn’t Have a Clue • Part 1

Little did an English Setter puppy in Canada know her forever home would be in another country. Little did she know she was joining a multi-dog family. She was expecting a simple life. Nobody told her anything. Here’s how Tia’s story began and how she became a book!

"A book? Read on."

Tia was about nine months old when she arrived at my mother’s home in South Florida. My dad had already passed away and never had the opportunity to meet Tia. My husband and I were living around the corner with our young boys. The logical thing at the time was to join forces and live together. As many know, life has a way of changing well-intended plans, and that’s what happened here. Since my parents’ home was larger, eventually my children and I moved in with my mom, and I sold our home sometime later.

Now my mother was helping me raise my children. They had a live-in grandma, and we were both caring for our canine family. We had several senior Setters, two rescue Whippets, several Greyhounds, and four Dachshunds. There were more than dogs and kids here.

There were birds also: canaries! They weren’t a problem. They sat in their cages and sang. My brother moved in temporarily with his lovebird (Stretch) after his college graduation. Shortly before his upcoming marriage, he moved out, leaving Stretch with us. But this bird had an attitude problem—he was nasty! He liked Rich, but nobody else. To say that life in our home was busy is an understatement.

Enter Tia! “Whoa, this is far from what I expected! Dogs, birds, and little people running around? The birds are okay. But I wasn’t expecting children! Someone call that airline and hold that plane. I hope I came with a round-trip ticket!”

The only thing she heard from me was: “Sorry, Tia, you’re here to stay. Welcome home.” Now we had another Setter, and this one had a mind of her own. Suddenly, life got even busier!

The other Setters were retired. Mom was still exhibiting, hoping that Tia would somehow end up in the show ring. Fat chance, based on Tia’s personality. She thought she was the decision-maker—SURPRISE, Tia!

It didn’t take long to realize her only option was to adjust, like it or not, kids included. Turns out that she actually liked children. Now here’s one for the book.

—Lesley💞 

P.S. Subscribe to my blog, and feel free to share this story.

---

Continue reading I Didn’t Have a Clue

Part 2 — October 14

Part 3 — October 21


“Yep, it’s me. The dog who hated dog shows but wrote a book!”


“Wow, so many toys!” 

“Ah, who needs toys to be happy?”

Remember I said we had other Greyhounds? Well, here are some of them. ↓

“Gee, it’s hot out here. Thank goodness they have a pool.” — Chloe 

“Hmm, I wonder how I can get that biscuit away from Fancy?”
— Beau (L) and Fancy (R)

“Is that so, Chloe?”  — Chloe (L) and Wilson (R)

“Hey, do you see what I see?” — Chloe (L) and Fancy (R)

“I’ll sit while you watch, Chloe. You’re younger.”  — Kate (L) and Chloe (R)

“You look familiar; you’re the one
who keeps picking me up.”
— One of our Setter pups

“It gets cold in South Florida. Thank goodness we have winter coats”
— Casey, Bridgit, and Zach (L → R)

“It’s mighty nice in Mom’s bed.”  — Casey, Bridgit, Zach (L to R)

____________

Follow Lesley ↓

Lesley on LinkedIn | Lesley on Facebook

Purchase Tia Talks – My Life in a Multi-breed Family

Tia Talks on Amazon | Tia Talks from Other Stores

Book 2 — Sophie Talks – Living with Tia at GREYSETT coming soon!

 

Follow Lesley’s blog | Subscribe to Lesley’s email list
← Look in the left pane or menu

 

↓ Click the icon to share with your friends — And comment here, too.




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my blog!

The GREYSETT Origin Story

When a Life of Fear Disappears