My Ah Ha Moment

When Arwen joined our GREYSETT family, Gala was the only dog here.

I’ve never had a dog who needed a groomer. With time and patience, Arwen trusted me with scissors to trim the long hair on her paws and muzzle with a snip here and there when needed while sitting in my lap.

Trimming her nails is another thing. No way this will happen. Many dogs don't like their nails cut, and I respect this. Many of the dogs in our GREYSETT home have been fine with nail trims over the decades. One, two, three, DONE! Different dogs and different personalities make the lives of dog parents interesting.

My mom trimmed the English Setters in our family. In the 1950s, she had an adjustable grooming table and the proper grooming equipment required to maintain them in show trim. Those not being exhibited still needed routine trims to prevent matting. Their grooming experiences began as puppies. Once I was a teenager, my mom taught me.

Anyone with long-coated canines should understand the importance of keeping their coats combed. Untangling matted hair hurts.

Ah ha, I thought. If she'll let me do these things, then maybe I can groom her myself!  

After watching several YouTube videos on grooming a Yorkie, each presenting a different approach, it was in her best interest to leave this to a professional. Plus, I gave away that grooming table years ago.

Arwen’s fortunate to have a groomer she loves. I wait in the car during her appointment, and she's done in twenty minutes.

Yorkshire Terriers are new to me, and I've learned a lot. Not only are there different sizes, there are also a variety of coat textures. Arwen is a teacup with a silky coat. 

I’ve seen neighborhood cats larger than she is! 

Who knew? I certainly didn’t.

—Lesley💞 

P.S. Subscribe to my blog, and feel free to share this story.

“Remember, muzzle and feet—that’s it!”  

“Oh my, groomer needed pronto!”  Gala and Arwen

“Groomer found!”  Gala and Arwen

____________

Follow Lesley ↓

Lesley on LinkedIn | Lesley on Facebook

Follow Lesley’s Company

Lesley Osborn Canine Consulting

Purchase Tia Talks – My Life in a Multi-breed Family

Tia Talks on Amazon | Tia Talks from Other Stores

Schedule your FREE call with Lesley about issues in your canine family

Lesley’s Calendar

Get help with adopting a dog that’s right for you and your family

Adoption Guidance Service

 

↓ Click the icon to share with your friends — And comment here, too.




Comments

  1. Lesley, Arwen is a beautiful girl! She's blessed to be with you at GREYSETT. Keep sharing her stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gary. She certainly is and we are both blessed to be together 💕

      Delete
  2. She is so tiny she looks like a stuffed toy Yorkie (which, now that I think about it, might actually be larger!).

    Molly HATES having her nails done. Her vet suggested a dremel made specially for dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, weavingwoman. Arwen's a teacup Yorkie (7 pounds). Her nails are done at her groomer and she uses a dremmel. Thank you for reading and commenting.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my blog!

The GREYSETT Origin Story

When a Life of Fear Disappears