One Plus One = Two
Shadow was the first dog in our family. He was an AKC purebred orange Belton English pup, and I was in kindergarten. I don’t remember much about his early days. I do have pictures of him sitting with my brother, Rich, my dad, and me snuggled on the couch.
My mom didn’t envision that Shadow would become the beginning of Canberra English Setters. He was a family dog. She bought books about grooming and exhibiting English Setters. After reading and practicing, my mom entered him in his first dog show with a book in one hand and Shadow on a show leash in the other. The time frame: the late 1950s. Talk about beginners—both of them! He earned his championship quickly. He was now “Ch. Aspetuck’s Shadow.”
Several years later, another English Setter joined our family. I was old enough to remember her story. Enjoy…
Mom had English Setter friends in Rhode Island, and they were expecting a litter of puppies. We embarked on an adventure when our pup was old enough to travel. In the 1960s, getting from our home to theirs wasn’t easy. It required a car ride to point A, where it was loaded onto a ferry. As children, this was an adventure. I don’t remember if I was scared or excited. All I remember is waiting to meet our new puppy.
Someone drove our car off this ferry, and we were on our way to meet them. They were a lovely couple, about my parents' age, with two daughters approximately my age.
After the customary greetings adults have, we enjoyed lunch. I don’t remember much about my brother’s reactions, but I do remember what I was thinking: “Where’s our pup?”
Out came an eight-week-old little girl. She was soft, she was small, and she was a blue Belton. I couldn’t wait to hold her in my arms. The adults visited for several hours. I was playing with Misty. When it was time to leave, everything was in reverse. First, we were back in our car, then we drove back to that ferry, and finally drove home with our new puppy. We named her Misty. And now there were two English Setters in our family.
Once Misty and I were old enough, Mom let me go to a dog show. It was a puppy match. We learned together, and guess what? We won the class! It was a joint effort, but she earned that ribbon and trophy. It belonged to her. I was simply the youngster holding onto the leash, following the directions I’d been given. I was about ten, and Misty was probably 10 months old.
Two years later, she was exhibited in official dog shows, earning her championship. Now she was “Ch. Blue Mist of Stone Gables.”
Here's a photo from the 1960s taken by a professional dog show photographer. I used a Polaroid at home. Who's old enough to remember these?
Canberra was the name of the slowly developing line of my mom’s carefully bred AKC English Setters. My mother was a private breeder caring deeply about the litters she brought into this world, the pups she deemed suitable to be seen in a show ring, and those she felt were not. These were carefully placed in homes with families looking for an English Setter as a family member only. My mother kept in touch with every family who had one of her pups, whether they were in the ring or as a pet throughout their lifetime.
The pups she couldn’t find acceptable homes for remained with us. And Canberra English Setters continued.
Shadow crossed the Bridge at the age of 14. Misty joined him one year later at age 13. Their memories live in my heart. They are now cradled in my mom's arms.
My mom was an icon in the world of AKC English Setters for all she contributed and her ethical approach to the breeding and placement of her dogs.
Funny thing about legacies— they remain. Rest in Peace, Mom. You remain in my heart. 💞
—Lesley💞
P.S. Subscribe to my blog, and feel free
to share this story.
![]() |
| Shadow and Misty in our living room in New York in the 1960s |
![]() |
| Misty with me at her first AKC puppy match show |
____________
Follow Lesley ↓
Lesley on LinkedIn | Lesley on Facebook
Follow Lesley’s Company
Lesley
Osborn Canine Consulting
Purchase Tia Talks – My Life in a Multi-breed Family
Tia
Talks on Amazon | Tia Talks from Other
Stores
Schedule your FREE call with Lesley about issues in
your canine family
Get help with adopting a dog that’s right for you and your
family
↓ Click the icon to share with your friends — And comment
here, too.


Lesley, another wonderful story. Thank you for sharing these with us. Keep them coming! 😊
ReplyDeleteIndeed I will, Gary. Thanks for reading and commenting. I'm happy you're enjoying them. 😄
DeleteI have a fondness for English Setters, as my uncle bred them. (My life has been filled with dogs and horses. Cats too).
ReplyDeleteShadow and Misty were absolutely stunning.
Ah, I remember you saying your uncle had English Setter, weavingwoman. I remember your comment on Calli's story and your horses. I see that you are cat lover too. Thanks for reading and commenting. 😊🙏
Delete